This poem, written in 2011, came to me all at once one day, as though a direct word from God to me, and the words tumbled out as fast as I could write them the moment my pen touched paper. It was a fitting word for that season of my life, but it continues to speak to me at different times and in different ways in each season of my life. I have included here several Bible verses and questions for reflection that relate to the themes of the poem, and aid in discovering how God wants to speak into this season of your life.
Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. (2 Corinthians 3:17)
- What fears are holding you back in your life right now?
The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord. (Luke 4:18, 19)
- What prisons, bondage, or entrapment is God calling you out of and seeking to rescue you from?
Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea and a path through the mighty waters… “Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.” (Isaiah 43:16, 18, 19)
- What dream or vision has God placed in your heart, which your fears and struggles have been holding you back from?
Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. (John 8:36)
- How does God see you, and how does He want you to see yourself?
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for in YAH, the Lord, is everlasting strength. (Isaiah 26:3,4)
- How can you step forward in faith, confidence, and trust in God today?
There is no fear in love [dread does not exist]. But perfect (complete, full-grown) love drives out fear, because fear involves [the expectation of divine] punishment, so the one who is afraid [of God’s judgment] is not perfected in love [has not grown into a sufficient understanding of God’s love]. (1 John 4:18 AMP)
- How does receiving God’s complete and perfect love, without punishment, judgment, or condemnation, help you to take that next step?
Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you… And the Lord, he is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed. (Deuteronomy 31:6,8)
- What would you have the courage to do if you knew, beyond any doubt, that God is always going ahead of you, leading the way, is always WITH you, and will never abandon you or leave you stranded?